Winter Weather Tips
When a Major Snow Storm is in the Forecast
- Make sure you have snow shovels and ice melting chemicals.
- Plan to Shelter in Place. Stock up on food, supplies and medicines just as for a hurricane or similar event.
- Plan to telework as much as possible.
After the Snow has Fallen
- Avoid using roads. Crews working to clear the roads need as much room as possible to maneuver vehicles and equipment. Vehicle traffic will compress the snow into a sheet of ice. Colder temperatures at night will re-freeze any melting snow, thus making the ice thicker. Once this happens, plows cannot remove the ice layer and will only “float” on top of the ice sheet. Removal of thick ice often requires back hoes and heavy equipment.
- Shovel snow in small amounts to avoid exhaustion and possible injuries.